What is a digital asset?
A digital asset is a type of digital content that is used to market, sell, or support a product, such as images, videos, audio files, and other multimedia content.
Brands that have a large library of digital assets, particularly those in the retail and eCommerce industries, often need to manage their digital assets efficiently to streamline their workflow and ensure consistent branding. This is where tools like Product Information Management or Digital Asset Management software come in handy, as it allows them to centralize their assets where it can be easily retrieved, enriched, and distributed.
How are digital assets used?
Digital assets are essential for showcasing products and creating compelling marketing content. On a product detail page, instead of relying on plain text, the inclusion of high-quality images and videos of products can help customers make informed purchasing decisions, while engaging animations and graphics can increase brand recognition and customer loyalty.
What are some examples of digital assets?
There are many types of digital assets that exist. Some examples are:
- Product images and videos
- Social media posts
- Logos and branding assets
- Social media graphics and content
- Email templates and newsletters
- User-generated content (UGC) such as reviews and customer photos
- Packaging and label designs
- Audio files such as sound effects and music tracks
- How-to-use instruction manuals
- Sales presentations and documents
- Customer databases
- Website content
- Intellectual property (e.g., patents, trademarks, copyrights)
- Financial data (e.g., balance sheets, income statements, cash flow statements)