Order Management System
What is an Order Management System?
An Order Management System (OMS) is a software application that manages the lifecycle of an order. It automates and handles the order fulfillment process, such as order capture, inventory management, order processing, shipping coordination, and after-sales service. OMS can also act as a central hub and consolidate order-related information from various channels and systems, offering merchants a comprehensive view of every customer's order in one place.
What are the common features of an OMS?
Here are some common features of an Order Management System (OMS):
- Order Capture: Allows users to capture and record customer orders from various channels, such as online storefronts, mobile apps, call centers, and in-store POS systems.
- Inventory Management: Tracks and manages inventory levels in real-time, providing visibility into stock availability, locations, and replenishment needs.
- Order Processing: Automates the processing of orders, including order validation, payment processing, fraud detection, and order confirmation.
- Shipping and Logistics: Integrates with shipping carriers to generate shipping labels, manage shipping options, calculate shipping costs, and track the delivery status of shipments.
- Customer Communication: Provides automated order notifications and updates to customers, including order confirmation, shipment tracking, and delivery notifications.
- Returns and Exchanges: Manages the return and exchange process, including issuing return labels, handling product returns, processing refunds or replacements, and updating inventory accordingly.